World Peace

Some First5 teachings make me feel like I just have to tell someone about what I've learnt. That is why I chose to start telling you about them one-by-one.

One of the first few that I thought was enlightening, was Wendy Blight's teaching on Genesis 13, titled 'Choose Humility'.

The chapter tells the story of Abraham & Lot. These two brothers, as well as their growing families, herdsman and surrounding tribes, all stayed on the same piece of land. As you can imagine, this crowded set-up eventually led to "in-house" fighting. ['But the land could not support them while they stayed together, for their possessions were so great that they were not able to stay together. And quarreling arose between Abram's herders and Lot's.' - Gen 13:16-17 NIV]

Fortunately, Abraham (with God's guidance, I believe) realised that a peaceful compromise is always possible. He gave Lot first choice, and promised to go the opposite way, believing that giving everyone more space, will help smooth things out, and it worked!

What I learnt was to put God's way of Peace & Reconciliation before my own agenda. I've actually started applying it to my life - instead of trying to come out the winner of every argument, I've tried to stay humble to find a workable solution for all parties involved. So far, it's been working much better than sticking to my guns come hell or high water.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Mykines Lighthouse, Faroe Islands

I Will Wait

Dark Side of the Cookie