Skip to main content

Hood Point:

South African Lighthouse No. 12


Picture Credit: Bazil Raubach

It was commissioned on 4 June 1895, but I couldn't find a lot of note worthy facts* that piqued my interest.

I did learn, however, that - although all the lights are automated these days (ie no longer lamps that need to be lit), this one still has lighthouse keepers to keep watch over the station, and I absolutely love the key hole shaped windows!

[The lighthouse keepers who also happen to be golfers, must surely love working here, because it's located right next to a golf course.]

*Some interesting tidbits on East London: the coelacanth was found off its coast (a fish, which was previously believed to have gone extinct millions of years ago, and then discovered alive and well on 23 December 1938, exactly 45 years before I was born), and their museum also houses the only dodo egg in the world.

Photo found online, but I have no idea who took it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Quotable: Let Them Eat Cake!

Just FYI: "Let them eat cake" is a phrase widely attributed to Marie-Antoinette, but according to History.com, she probably never even said it.

Weekly Quotable: Star-tangled manner

Pinterest Trial #6: Cheesecake

This wasn't my first tango with a cheesecake.
First time around (a few months ago) it came out all cracked and spotty-looking, despite the fact that I had set my sights on the simplest recipe I could find.

Before my second attempt I changed tactics. I did some online research before firing up the mixer and it totally paid off! No cracks, an even colour all around and a way creamier texture.


I'm THE WORST at absolutely everything in the kitchen, so to all my fellow Kitchen Catastrophes out there - here's what I did differently for Baby Brother's 21st birthday lunch @ Mom's:
Cream Cheese - looks like Philadelphia Cream Cheese disappeared from South African shelves, so I used 3 tubs of LANCEWOOD® Full Fat Cream Cheese instead.Cookie Crumbs - using my mortar, with a double-lining of cling wrap to keep the crumbs from sticking to it, I pestled a box of BAKERS Nuttikrust® biscuits until reduced to fine crumbs. (We have a granite set like this one at home and I was able t…