We joined the Pretoria Mystery Ghost Bus Tour on Saturday night. It was such good, clean fun. On the bus, they played this track, and I've had it stuck in my head ever since.
The Mykines Holm lighthouse was built in 1909, but it wasn't the Faroes' first. The first lighthouse was lit way over on the other side of the Faroe Islands in 1782, on the northern part of Nolsoy . Towards the end of the second industrial revolution (a few years before the first world war), it looks like the construction bug bit the Faroe people, because they built the first bridge over Holmgjogv , as well as the first path from Mykines Bygd (the village ) to Mykines Holm (the lighthouse islet) in the same year that they constructed Mykines Holm Lighthouse. There have been twenty-one lighthouses on the islands to date (give or take a few that had to be rebuilt over the years). During World War II all three manned lighthouses - Akraberg, Mykines and Nolsoy, were attacked (bombed). After the war ended in 1945, it took three years to set things in order, rebuild, and clean up the islands. PC: KE Adventure Travel Did You Know? Apparently...
I am altogether smitten with lighthouses. Our love affair has been dragged around with me from the very first time that I saw one. Oddly enough, although it was love at first sight, I cannot remember when I saw my first lighthouse. I just know, in my heart, that I've always felt that way. A similar observation can be made about my faith - I don't know when I started believing, I just know that I do. Strangely enough, the two has always been linked for me. You know how, if someone says the word milk, your mind/memory will flash a picture of a cow? Well, my mind whispers 'God' every time I see a lighthouse. (I presume it was a Sunday School lesson about how He's always there for us like the lighthouses are for the ships, or something of the sort.) Whatever the reason, I couldn't think of a better way to end each week, than by incorporating this long standing love relationship with lighthouses in a new regular post . Orfordness Lighthouse (Suf...
Comments
Post a Comment