The Mykines Holm lighthouse was built in 1909, but it wasn't the Faroes' first.
The first lighthouse was lit way over on the other side of the Faroe Islands in 1782, on the northern part of Nolsoy.
Towards the end of the second industrial revolution (a few years before the first world war), it looks like the construction bug bit the Faroe people, because they built the first bridge over Holmgjogv, as well as the first path from Mykines Bygd (the village) to Mykines Holm (the lighthouse islet) in the same year that they constructed Mykines Holm Lighthouse.
There have been twenty-one lighthouses on the islands to date (give or take a few that had to be rebuilt over the years).
During World War II all three manned lighthouses - Akraberg, Mykines and Nolsoy, were attacked (bombed). After the war ended in 1945, it took three years to set things in order, rebuild, and clean up the islands.